Saturday, April 17, 2004

listen to the rhythm of the falling rain

i miss that song: the old "rhythm of the rain" by jason donovan.

i listen to the rhythm of the falling rain,
telling me just what a fool i've been.
i wish that it would go and let me cry in vain,
and let me be alone again.

the only girl i care about is gone away,
looking for a brand new start.
but little does she know that when she left that day,
along with her she took my heart.

rain, please tell me now does that seem fair,
for her to steal my heart away when she don't care.
i can't love another when my heart's somewhere,
far away.

rain, wont you tell her that i love her so,
please ask the sun to set her heart aglow;
rain in her heart and let the love we knew
start to grow.


i recalled listening to this song for the first time when i was 7.

my grandma picked me up after school and took me to a store to buy some groceries. after paying, like always she took me to a small kiosk in the corner of the store that sells american music. she knew how i loved to listen stuff i don't understand, and i still do until now, so she always took me there at least once every two weeks. she looked at the small number of collection the seller had and asked me if there's anything i would like to buy.

i was 7, and was still biting my fingernails, the other hand holding tight to my grandma's hand, when the seller -- a dark-skinned guy with long curly hair, blue cap, his beard giving him a filthy look on his face -- stopped a small tape on the other side that was playing an indonesian song, took out the cassette, and replaced it with another cassette that started playing a song, no, it started out with the sound of rain pouring down on sidewalk pavement in front of a store; no one was walking except for a little kid with a yellow raincoat, and on the ground not far from the little kid, a rusty old bike lying flat on the ground. the kid was smiling, running around, trying to catch drops of rain with his mouth. then my grandma kneeled down, rubbed my head and asked again with a smile on her face, "did you see anything you like?"

i stopped daydreaming, and started listening to the voice of the male singer coming out from that small tape. having been exposed to no foreign singers except the likes of tommy page, jason donovan, and new kids on the block, i knew immediately that the voice coming out from that tape is jason donovan's. i asked the seller if that's a new single and he clarified it. so i told my grandma that i wanted that one, and she bought it for me.

that same night, i was sitting in my room, listening to this same song over and over. i looked outside the window and it was raining, hard. i looked at the dark night sky, smiled, and thought to myself:
will this ever happened again?
listening to this song, and staring at the rain?
would i recall this moment if it did?
this moment, sitting on my bed, staring at the rain
feeling empty, sad, but happy at the same time?


it just happened.
the same feeling.
the same facial expression.
and i did recall that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: