Sunday, January 29, 2006

epigone

i never understand the meaning of that word. it encountered me a while back and i thought it made no sense, and today i saw it again on gmail's word of the day and it still made no sense. i know what it means, but i think it's rather redundant since imitators are always inferior to whatever they're imitating. the very fact that they can not come up with their own idea already shows how much inferior they are.

on the entry i made this morning i claimed that i wouldn't have been able to sleep well had i not posted the short story i remembered when i was in the bathroom. apparently nature decided to prove me wrong once more because that was by far the worst 6-hour sleep i've ever had in my life.

it's not the sleep itself, however; i think i slept through the entire six hours. it was the dream. the dream where i went to a japanese bookstore to buy three of the latest houshin engi tanko to complete my collection. all was fine except for the fact that when i walked back to the car with my dad one of the book turned out to be a textbook used in a japanese college class, and that itself cost three times the other tanko ($39, and i was charged that much, too), so i did what every sane man would: walked back to the store immediately and asked for a refund.

the lady behind the counter was giving me the stick and said that they could not give refunds to non members, so i took out my wallet and found a membership card to my own amazement. i did not have a recollection of when i signed up for membership, but according to this card i've been a member since 1995. then she started giving me the stick about the membership card being too old and that the bookstore had undergone a change of ownership since then, thus rendering my membership card useless.

i checked the purchase records since 1995 (don't ask how), and it showed that i had been using that card in that store for the past three weeks and it worked just fine, so it definitely did not expire. she still refused to give me my $39 back with other bullshit that she came up with on the spot, so i just stood there looking cross. she claimed that since i had taken the book out of its plastic wrap, it had lost its selling value. but the book itself was clearly handwrapped and even sealed with a withering scotch tape, so it was obvious that the wrapping that it came with originally had been taken out anyway, but she still wouldn't give my my $39 back.

so i sat there on a couch and opened the darn book. it had wears on the cover, and some of the pages were wrinkly, so i walked back up to the counter and told her that she sold me a used book. she said bullshit, they never sold any used book. i showed her the wear and wrinkle and she still refused to give me my darn $39. i opened up a few pages in front of her and showed her that there were writings, notes, and even fucking doodles on every other page. i caused so much ruckus everyone in the store came up to the counter to see what was going on. after long debate that i could not remember in details, with other customers supporting me, she finally gave in and walked to the back office to get my $39.

she came back a few hours later with my $39, and i left the store feeling victorious. i looked at my cellphone and i realized that i had been in there for six hours.

then i woke up from the most mentally exhausting sleep i've ever had in my life. damn that stupid bitch behind the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: