Sunday, October 23, 2005

look what i got

upon realizing that i have not done for the entire day, something that i usually do every hour or so, i checked my email.

this is one that is not spam that i got:

Dear *********
(you don't need to know my name),

I've heard a lot of great things about your experience as a tutor and a TA, as well as your work with the Guardian, and I think this makes you an excellent candidate for Teach For America. You have shown an obvious commitment to personal excellence, and you have been honing your leadership skills.

For these reasons, I would like to set up a meeting to discuss your many accomplishments and your future plans. I'd also like to tell you a little more about Teach For America, our mission, and the opportunities available to you if you join our corps of outstanding future leaders.

My name is Adriana Garcia, and I will be at UCSD this Wednesday and Thursday, October 26th and 27th. This is the last chance for you to meet with a Teach For America representative before our first application deadline on October 30th, so I highly encourage you to respond.

If you are able to squeeze in just 20 minutes to meet in Cafe Roma, please let me know before the end of the weekend.

All my best,

Adriana


er, who/what/which bastard referred me to this lady? here i am, already settled with the thought that i will be going to a graduate school, and thus not bothering checking out the jobfair they have on campus, and all of a sudden, teachforamerica opens up an opportunity that sounds rather interesting.

i love to hate, and one thing that i definitely love to hate is when i am presented with many choices and i have to pick one. why can't i be presented with ONE choice only? that would save me the trouble of having to contemplate and decide. this is why i hate multiple choice questions. they should really change that to single-choice questions. it makes life easier. a lot easier.

and now if i don't reply to this lady at all, i would look like a total jerk. if i reply but not accept her offer, i would look just about how i would look if i did not reply at all, which means it's a complete waste of effort. but if i reply and agree to meet, 20 minutes at cafe roma is not going to actually be 20 minutes long. any effort made to shorten that will make me look no less than a complete jerk, and any effort made to look interested in whatever she is talking about is one effort too much and therefore does not appeal to my logic.

they want me to teach? come on now. the only reason i got perfect reviews on my TA evaluation was because people think i'm friendly and cool and that i grade easy. did anyone actually finish the class thinking that they had learned a lot from me? most definitely not. anyone in the right mind would think damn-thank-goodness-that-shit-is-done-and-over-with sort of thoughts. i know i do.

i think i've caused enough devastation to the kids i TA already. and now they want me to ruin the future of america? what idiots.

r: you can just tell her that you're planning to go on grad school
r: tell her to contact you after you're done w/ grad school


good idea. thank you. you are a much nicer person than i am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: